History of Matlock Electric
1920 - Matlock Electric Company Inc. was originally founded as a branch of the United Motors Service (UMS), a division of Delco Products/GMC.
1940 - UMS operated until 1940, when, due to a difference of opinion between GM and the Roosevelt Administration concerning monopolistic practices, it was divested to a long time GM employee, Mr. J. Bruce Matlock.
1941 - Mr. Matlock, seeking to diversify into lines other than those exclusive to General Motors, changed the name to Matlock Electric Co. In the later part of that year, America found itself engaged in World War Two. As many businesses of that era, Matlock Electric was involved in the epic effort of manufacturing small parts for national defense, as well as, engaging in the repair of small industrial motors in support of the war effort.
Early 1950's - Motor manufacturers introduced rolled steel and die cast construction into the design of electric motors, thus creating what has come to be known as the first throwaway product.
1950-1960 - At the conclusion of WWII, Matlock established itself as a niche in the remanufacturing of service product motors for the domestic appliance industries. Matlock was one of the largest remanufacturers of this type of equipment in the United States.
1963 - The Matlock family sold the assets of the Matlock Electric Co. to a new entity, The Matlock Electric Co., Inc. Less than a year later, the company was sold to Tom Geoppinger. From that time until this day the company has been operated by the Geoppinger family.
1965 - Matlock Electric positioned its market geographically in the states of Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, West Virginia, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Within these areas, it has provided sales, service and professional asset management of electrical systems to the automotive, chemical, paperboard, food, utility, machine tool, wire drawing, and elevator industries, to name a few. For 45 years, Matlock Electric, has been in the forefront of new developments in the industry such as, computerized quality control of motor remanufacturing processes such as vacuum pressure impregnation (VPI), automated coil winding, precision balancing, and most recently, the thermal trending of manufacturing processes.
1987 - Matlock Electric Inc. moved into its current location at 2780 Highland Avenue, in Norwood, a suburb of Cincinnati. This facility is home to some of the most state of the art equipment used today. Shop Capacity includes: 30,000 Sq. Ft. devoted to service, 500 Mile radial service area, 20 Ton overhead crane capacity.
1995 - Matlock Electric establishes its Plant Asset Management Services (PAMS) division to better serve the customer and to provide a much needed analytical service to the midwest.
2000 - Matlock Electric builds a total service systems divison for testing and rebuilding of servo motors, electrical equipment and variable frequency drives.
2008 - Dedicated to continuing excellence and eager to provide our customers with the best in service and technology, Matlock Electric added the Phenix High Power Motor Test Set to its already long list of shop capabilities.
2010 - The total experience of Matlock Electric employees represents over 500 years of collective knowledge in the industry. As an active member and participant for nearly 50 years in a local as well as national and international trade associations such as EASA, PTDA and NEMA. Matlock Electric has always supported the highest standards of quality and integrity in the electric equipment industry. Matlock Electric is looking forward to new challenges available to us. We stand ready to serve the ever-changing technologies of our customers with the same quality, service and integrity that have been our hallmark for 90 years.